Bookstagram

Classic Books I Want to Read This Year

Thursday, January 26, 2017


     



     I love classic books. I love the feel of old paper and the sound of old English words that make the story intellectually enticing. The problem is, however, I haven’t actually read a whole lot of classic books. I have old books such as Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and Moby Dick sitting on my bookshelves collecting dust. But have I ever picked any of them up to entice myself? No.
     That is one of my goals this year: Read More Classic Books. I hope I actually finish my goal, instead of procrastinating or getting sucked into another amazing series, such as A Court of Thorns and Roses.
     Here are some classic books I want to read. I haven’t read them, so, of course, I can’t give descriptions of them. However, I will put the cover, publish date, and author. Most of you probably already know these since they are, after all, classics.



#1 To Kill a Mockingbird
     To Kill a Mockingbird is probably one of the most well-known classical books. Most people read this book during middle school or high school. (I obviously didn’t). And the classic was recently accompanied by its sequel, Go Set a Watchman. 

To Kill a Mockingbird                                                                                  Go Set a Watchman
Author:
Harper Lee (1926-2016)                                                             Author: Harper Lee
Publish date: July 11, 1960                                                                      Publish date: July 14, 2015
Page count: 281                                                                                          Page count: 278
Description: Goodreads                                                                     Description: Goodreads





#2 Lord of the Flies
      I read Lord of the Flies when I was younger, but I don’t remember any of it. This is a less popular classic, but it is still read in schools everywhere today. 

Lord of the Flies
Author: William Golding (1911-1993)
Publish date: September 17, 1954
Page count: 182
Description: Goodreads




#3 Animal Farm
     Back in elementary and middle school, I had a list of summer reading. I didn’t read any of it, because I was a kid and enjoyed playing outside more than doing schoolwork. Summer is made for fun, right? Now that I’m older, I wish I had read that summer reading list, because there were a lot of popular classical books on there, such as Animal Farm. 

Animal Farm
Author: George Orwell (1903-1950)
Publish date: August 17, 1945
Page count: 122
Description: Goodreads



#4 Anne of Green Gables
     I am not really sure if this is a kids book or a young adult book. I’m pretty sure that kids in fourth grade read this (as my little sister just did), but I also see older adults reading it. Now, this is a classic. I am most certain that everyone has either heard of or read Anne of Green Gables. 

Anne of Green Gables
Author: L.M. Montgomery (1874-1942)
Publish date: 1908
Page count: 320
Description: Goodreads





#5 Moby Dick

     We all know the story, whether we’ve read this book or not. A man gets swallowed by a whale, and the rest is history. Even though I haven’t read Moby Dick, I can tell that it will be one wild ride when I do engage myself into it. 

Moby Dick
Author: Herman Melville (1819-1891)
Publish date: October 18, 1851
Page count: 720
Description: Goodreads




#6 Jane Eyre

     I recently watched the movie Jane Eyre, starring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender. I absolutely loved the movie, so I think I will enjoy the book immensely. I’m excited for this book!

Jane Eyre                                                                                               Jane Eyre: The Movie
Author: Charlotte Brontë(1816-1855)                                              Release date: 2011
Publish date: October 16, 1847                                                        Rating: PG-13
Page count: 507                                                                                  Length: 2 hours
Description: Goodreads
                                  Trailer: YouTube







#7 Pride and Prejudice


     This is another book-to-movie adaption I watched before actually reading the book.  I just really enjoy watching movies that are set in the 19th century. I loved the movie, and I’m hoping the book is just as good. The only problem with classic books is that they’re usually old, which means there can be words in there that we don’t use in our modern day language, so the books can be hard to understand.


Pride and Prejudice                                                            Pride and Prejudice: The Movie
Author: Jane Austen (1775-1817)                                    Realease date: 2005
Publish date: January 28, 1813                                      Rating: PG
Page count: 279                                                                Length: 2 hours, 15 min.
Description: Goodreads                                               Trailer: YouTube




Thank you so much for reading my Thursday Blog post. Make sure to check out my other social media (especially my Instagram). I'll see you on Monday!
•Jessica•
 














 







No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan